I was experimenting with some new recipes and I made this batch of Chocolate & Caramel covered pretzel rods and took them to work for my coworkers to sample and give me feed back. Hands down, they LOVED them and begged me to tell them how I did it. You won't believe how easy it is and they really make great gifts.
Chocolate & Caramel Covered Pretzel Rods
1-2 bags of pretzel rods
1 pkg. of caramel wraps (located by the apples in the produce section)
1 pkg. of Chocolate chips or Candy Coating for dipping
Optional: Sprinkles such as nuts, candy sprinkles, or white chocolate for melting and drizzling)
1) take one caramel wrap and cut into thin strips.
2) Wrap one caramel strip around one pretzel rod. Stretch and pull the strip to twist it around to approximately halfway down the rod.
3) Continue wrapping rods till all are covered in caramel:
4) Melt Chocolate in microwave according to package directions. You can either melt them into a flat long container, or a tall container. I happened to use my hubby's favorite root beer mug which was the perfect height for dipping the pretzels. Not very fancy, but quite effective:
5) Dip each caramel covered pretzel in melted chocolate and place on wax paper lined cookie sheet.While Chocolate is still melty, sprinkle candy sprinkles or nuts over the top of the pretzels, or roll the pretzels in the sprinkles before placing on the cookie sheet.
6) When Chocolate is set on the pretzels, you can melt white chocolate and drizzle over the pretzels instead of sprinkles if you prefer. When completely cooled and chocolate is set, you can package in treat bags and tie with a ribbon.