Making soft, hot, buttery pretzels or pretzel bites is easier than you think! If you are looking for a game worthy snack that will knock their socks off, then pulling piping hot fluffy pretzels from the oven is it!
I made mine from a simple bread dough that anyone can make, but you can easily cheat with thawing a batch of frozen bread rolls dough (Like Rhodes brand).
In making mine from scratch I made a batch of 8 pretzels in an hour from start to finish.
I'm demonstrated the big pretzels, but will include directions for the pretzel bites as well.
Jan's Tip: TO USE THAWED FROM FROZEN BREAD ROLL DOUGH : skip Step 1. Start with step #2. .
Soft Buttered Pretzels
makes 8 pretzels:
Pretzel Dough: (or use frozen bread rolls dough thawed)
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 1/4 tsp. instant yeast
1 cup warm water.
Baking Soda/Water Bath:
1/2 Cup Hot (almost boiling) Water
2 Tablespoons Baking soda
2-3 Tablespoons melted butter
Coarse Salt (Sea Salt works great)
Directions:Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1) In mixing bowl (I used a kitchen aid for this recipe), add ingredients in this order: water, yeast, sugar. Mix with a spoon. Then add: flour and salt. Mix by hand or mixer paddle for a minute or so and then switch to dough hook and knead on low setting for 5 minutes.
2) Cover dough and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes:
3) After rising for 30 minutes, prepare the baking soda/water bath for each pretzel by mixing together Hot (nearly boiling) water and baking soda together in a shallow bowl. Set aside:
4) : If using from scratch dough: Place dough on floured surface. For big pretzels: divide into 8 equal pieces. For Pretzel Bites: Cut each of the 8 pieces into 4 more pieces so you have 32 dough ball bites. Roll each bite into a ball shape. (for bites skip to step #7)If using thawed roll dough: for big pretzels: One roll dough will make one pretzel. For Bites: Cut each roll into 4 pieces and roll into balls. (for bites skip to step #7)
5)For Big Pretzel: Roll each piece into a long rope.
7) Dip each pretzel in baking soda wash and flip to cover both sides:
8) Place pretzels on lightly greased baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt (unless you are going to dip them in cinnamon sugar later). Let rise in warm spot for 10 minutes.
9) Bake 9-10 minutes till golden brown. Brush with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven.
10) If wanting to make cinnamon/sugar ones, then toss the buttered hot pretzels in the cinnamon/sugar mixture now.
Eat! I like to serve Nacho Cheese Sauce and Honey Mustard dipping sauces for football games.
|Hot, soft, buttery pretzels with Nacho Cheese Sauce|