Have you ever grabbed one of those boxes of shake and bake type coating mixes for a quick and easy "non-fried" chicken, fish or porkchop dinner? You can easily make your own, saving you money and letting you control the quality of the ingredients.
My recipe creates a super cripsy coating that will give you a crunch with every bite. It can be just a jumping off point for you, so feel free to add or subtract ingredients to your own preferences. My secret ingredient to boost nutrition and the crunch? Wheat Germ!
Shake-N- Bake Mix:
Makes approx. 4-5 cups of mix
Use within 2 months
- 8 cups cornflakes (about a 12 oz.box)
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup dried minced onions
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons granulated garlic (or use 2 Teaspoons of garlic salt)
- Crush cornflakes to approx. 3-4 cups of crumbs. (I pour the cereal in a plastic ziplock bag and use a rolling pin).
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients together and stir until evenly mixed togehter.
- Pour into a 5 cup air tight container or storage bag. Label with date.
- Use within 2 months.
For Chicken, Fish, or Porkchops:
- Dip thawed raw meat in beaten egg and then in Shake-N-Bake coating mix.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet and bake 350 degrees till cooked through completely.