A dear friend has a son turning 4, and as she plans for his party, I was reminded of this fun recipe that my children loved to help me make. Putting some fun labels (Such as "Dirt" on the cocoa powder container) on all the ingredients and letting the children find the correct ingredients in the pantry and fridge was a part of the fun!
They loved helping me gather and mix the ingredients as well as dropping the cookies onto the waxed paper. (Ok, they loved the eating part the best!)
1/4 C. Dirt (Cocoa Powder)1/2 C. Swamp Water (Milk)
2 C. Crushed Bones (Sugar)
1/2 C. Fat (Butter)
2 C. Dead Grass (Oatmeal)
1/2 C. Squashed Bugs (Peanut Butter)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together dirt and swamp water.
- Add crushed bones and fat. Bring to a boil, and boil for about 3 minutes.
- Add squashed bugs and dead grass, stir until squashed bugs are melted.
- Remove from heat, and stir until mixture thickens.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
- Cool and let Dinosaur Chow set up. Ready to eat by ravenous little Dinosaurs (and bigger ones too!)