I first came across this dinner when a dear friend brought it to my family as a dinner many years ago when I was recovering from surgery. I have been the beneficiary of this delicious gift several times through the years, and it never disappoints. When she shared the recipe in a church cookbook, I just kept right on making it!
I have always made spaghetti sauce in huge batches, and then repurposed some of the leftovers into several other meals, like Pizza Subs as well as todays recipe.
Jan's Tip: The recipe original calls for rigatoni pasta, but I use what ever I have on hand. My husband prefers "flat " pasta over tube pasta, and I had half a bag of whole wheat egg noodles to use up today. Just grab whatever you prefer.
Today I am making only half the recipe since it's just me and the hubby, but the full recipe should feed a family of 4-6 easy.
Busy Day Lasagna
8 oz. pasta ( Your choice: Rigatoni, Ziti, Egg Noodles, etc.)
1 lb jar spaghetti sauce or 2 cups homemade (I use leftovers)
1 c. cottage or ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
- In bottom of 2 quart casserole dish put a few spoonsful, of sauce
- Arrange half the pasta in the pan.
- Cover with all the cottage or Ricotta Cheese
- Top with half the sauce and both cheeses
- Repeat the layers, ending with the cheeses.
- Bake at 375° for 20 min. till warm and bubbly.
What do you do with your leftover Spaghetti Sauce?