It's perfect for afterschool snacks or to take to work for a little pick me up! (and imagine being given a little canning jar of this from a friend or coworker as a gift or if you were sick? )
I made mine with Splenda for my diabetic husband, but you can substitute sugar or any sweetener to your own taste.
Jan's Tip: I prefer thicker applesauce so I start with 1/4 cup water. you can add more after blending the sauce if you like it thinner. You can also thicken a "too thin" sauce by cooking it over med. heat for a few minutes after blending it to reduce the liquid till desired thickness.
yield: approx. 12 servings (1/2 cup)
- 8 med. apples peeled and chopped
- 1 32 oz. container (or about 4 cups) strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/4- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10-15 minutes till fruit is soft and cooked tender.
- Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Run through blender or food processor to desired consistency.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Use within 2 weeks.