I love it because it's like a pot pie, but without the work of the piecrust, and truthfully the crumble topping is so tasty... I just love it better (gasp!) than pot pie! The savory bacon, chicken, rich gravy and colorful mix of veggies... so good!
This recipe makes enough for one large 2 qt. casserole. I am an empty nester, just feeding 2 people now, so i divided it up into 2 small dishes. I cooked one for now, and froze one for later.
Let's get you cooking!
Jan's Tip: If you want to super shortcut this and not make the entire thing from scratch you certainly can.. just use shredded rotisserie chicken, pre-made gravy, and canned carrots and peas to put this together. Then add the homemade crumble topping. BUT try it from scratch the first time first.. it really tastes so good!
Makes 8 servings
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
5 slices thick cut bacon chopped into 1 inch dice
1 medium onion peeled and chopped
1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
3 carrots peeled and diced
celery ribs chopped
1 lb. mushrooms chopped
4 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite sised pieces
1/4 cup flour
1 cup chicken stock (or water)
1 Tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
1 10 oz. pkg. frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Crumble Topping: In a medium bowl, combine the butter with the flour, and oats. Work with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture is mealy. add the cheese, garlic and salt. Stir well until blended. Set aside.
- Casserole filling:
- In a large skillet, saute the bacon over medium heat until fat is rendered. about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper , carrots, and celery and continue cooking until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking until they are browned about 6 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and continue stirring until a thick sauce is made (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in chicken bouillon and peas, stirring to combine.
- Heat through 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Pour into 2 qt. casserole. (If prepping to freeze later skip the next step and see instructions below)
- Sprinkle crumble topping evenly over the filling and bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Do not sprinkle crumble topping on top of filling.
Place crumble topping in a freezer safe seal-able bag, label and place on top of filling.
Cover entire casserole with freezer safe lid or double layer of foil and label.
Freeze up to 3 months.
Thaw 8 hours or overnight in fridge.
Sprinkle crumble topping over filling
Bake at 350° for 45 min. till golden brown.