I did not want to peel and cube up a squash myself, so I picked up a bag of already peeled and cubed butternut squash from the freezer section of the store! hey.. this is what Tip Garden is all about! Time saving ideas! (but I think you can also find them in the fresh produce section too!)
With a BLT sandwich on the side, this would make a lovely autumn / winter lunch in my opinion. This soup is SO lovely! It is smooth, creamy, lighlty sweet, but not too sweet. It is comforting and addicting! I could totally see some crumbled bacon from my BLT sandwich on top of my soup too! I will be making this again.. and again!
Here's the recipe:
Butternut Squash Soup
2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cubed into chunks. (about 3 cups)
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 Tablespoon sugar (optional)
- Combine squash and broth in a large saucepan and bring to aboil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover. Simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover, remove from heat and cool.
- Puree squash in blender or food processor.
- Return squash puree to saucepan and place over medium-low heat.
- Stir in sour cream, butter, cayenne pepper, salt, white pepper.
- If squash lacks enough sweetness to your taste, add sugar.
- Cook soup just until heated through, but not boiling.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.