This month of October, I've decided to make it "Souper October"! and share a soup recipe every week this month. And what better way to start off, then with a creamy classic?
Just a few minutes, a few ingredients and you have a warm soup waiting on the stove. I love to have this on the stove as an appetizer for when family or company is coming over for dinner on a chilly fall or winter evening or for a lunch with a slice of french bread.
Jan's Tip: This is the perfect use for that last little bit of rotisserie chicken you have left that isn't quite enough for anything else. just save 3/4-1 cup of diced chicken pieces for this soup.
Creamy Chicken Soup
Makes 8 cups
4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
6 cups chicken broth heated in a pan or bowl
3 egg yolks (discard the egg whites)
1 cup heavy cream
3/4- 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium -low heat.
- Add flour, whisking until smooth.
- cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- add 1 cup of the hot chicken broth, whisking vigorously to blend.
- Whisk in remaining broth.
- bring to a simmer stirring.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and cream.
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the hot broth into the egg mixture, whisking slowly.
- Pour egg mixture back into pan, whisking slowly.
- Heat soup slowly (do NOT boil), addin gmore broth if too thick.
- Add chicken and salt and heat thoroughly.
- Serve warm.