Jans' Tip: You can buy chicken filled or pork filled wonton's in the freezer section of most grocery stores, or Asian grocery stores. Either kind will work just fine!
This soup is so comforting! It will warm you heart and soul, and would be great along side an inexpensive noodle bowl for dinner or lunch.
It makes a ton, so I cut the recipe in half ,since we are empty nester's now, but it would feed a family for sure.
Here's my homemade version of Take Out Wonton Soup.
Take Out Wonton Soup:
Makes 6 servings:
7 cups Chicken Broth
30 (approx) small frozen wontons
1 lb. large shrimp- peeled and deveined
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 carrot very thinly sliced (i like then thin, to cook faster)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 /2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic minced
Optional: 3 leaves baby bok choy separated
1/3 cup green onions thinly sliced
- Pour chicken broth into large soup pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add in ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. stir to blend.
- Add frozen wontons, mushrooms, and carrots, and simmer on med-low 5-7 minutes till wontons cooked through and carrots are tender.
- Add in bok choy and shrimp and simmer 3-4 minutes till cooked through.
- Add in green onions just before serving.
- Divide wontons evenly between bowls (no fighting!)