The perfect go to cookie for a cookie exchange! or for that little spot you need to fill on your holiday treat trays.
Such a classic it will never go out of style, and will be a recipe to keep in your recipe files for years to come.
I am sure you could bake these in a 8 x8 square pan and cut out square, the original directions are for a 8 inch round pan and to cut into wedges, I prefer using my spring form pan, where I can remove the sides of the pan while it's cooling on the bottom of the pan .
Caramel Crunch Shortbread Cookies
1/2 cup Butter (real butter no substitutions)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar packed down
1 cup Plus 3 Tablespoons cake flour
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir butter until it starts to turn lightly brown, approximately 2 minutes, removed from heat.
- Immediately stir in brown sugar and flour.
- Add in 1 teaspoon water, mix until dough is firm and crumbly.
- Pour dough (it will be crumbly) into pan.
- Using your fingers, press dough evenly into bottom of pan.
- With a fork, make perforated lines in dough by pressing lightly, dividing into 12 wedges, but do NOT separate completely.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Unmold and let cool completely.
- Cut along perforated lines into wedges.